For this couscous recipe I have added spicy jalapeno sausage, garbanzo beans, roasted almonds, and plenty of spices; the result is a tasty dish with lots of flavor and texture.
Couscous was one of the first things I started to experiment with in my early days in the kitchen, and is still one of my favorite things to eat. Couscous is generally seen in many side dishes, but it makes a wonderfully filling and satisfying main meal with the simple addition of a few tasty ingredients.
Couscous with Spicy Sausage, Garbanzo Beans & Almonds Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 15 min
- 1 cup Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1½ cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 12-oz package Trader Joe's Jalapeno Chicken Sausage, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 15-oz can Trader Joes Garbanzo Beans, rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup almonds, dry roasted & roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juice only
- Heat 1 cup chicken broth in a large sauce pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, add couscous, and stir well. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Once the liquid has been absorbed, fluff the couscous with a fork and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, add the spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant and a smooth paste forms. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the garbanzo beans and the remaining chicken broth, and cook off the liquid for 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage, almonds, and parsley. Toss to combine and remove from heat.
- Combine the sausage and garbanzo bean mixture with the prepared couscous, dress with the juice of 1 lemon, season to taste with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, toss well, and enjoy.