Shredded Tex-Mex Chicken is so easy to cook in a crock pot (slow cooker). This is a great basic recipe to have on hand for use in burritos, soft tacos, quesadillas, chicken enchiladas, chimichangas, or any other dish you want to give a Tex-Mex flair to.
Crock Pot Shredded Tex-Mex Chicken Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 6-8 hrs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 limes
- 1/3 cup (packed) cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, and garlic; sauté 2 more minutes. Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth making sure to scrape up any browned bits. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, place in the crock pot, and squeeze the lime on top. Add the cilantro, jalapenos, and the onion and garlic mixture. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until cooked through and tender.
- Remove chicken breasts from the crock pot and shred. Scoop out the onions and add to the chicken. You may want to add some or all of the juice back to the shredded chicken, depending on the amount of juices produced.
*For fast and easy soft tacos, add this chicken to taco sized flour tortillas with shredded lettuce, avocado, tomato, red onion, salsa, cilantro, and cheese.