Known to some as Japanese pizza, this is a simple okonomiyaki recipe. Egg-battered shredded cabbage and leeks are cooked in a skillet until golden; then served cut into wedges and sprinkled with Trader Joe's toasted almonds and chives.
Japanese Pizza Recipe
Yield: 2 servings
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 10 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Trader Joe's Shredded Cabbage
- 1 cup Trader Joe's Trimmed Leeks, well washed and chopped
- 2/3 cup Baker Josef's 100% White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 pinches of fine grain sea salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 small bunch of Trader Joe's Organic Chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Trader Joe's Raw Sliced Almonds, toasted
- Combine the cabbage, leeks, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Toss until everything is coated with flour. Stir in the eggs and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Scoop the cabbage mixture into the skillet. Using a metal spatula, press the cabbage mixture into a round, flat, pancake shape. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the bottom is golden. To flip, slide the okonomiyaki out of the skillet onto a plate. Place another plate on top and flip both of the plates over. If needed, add a bit more olive oil in your skillet. Slide the okonomiyaki back into the skillet and press down again with a spatula. Cook until golden, another 3-5 minutes.
- Slide the okonomiyaki onto a cutting board, sprinkle with almonds and chives then cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 360| Total Fat: 18.5g | Cholesterol: 210mg | Sodium: 269mg | Carbohydrates: 40g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 16g
Serving size: 1/2 Japanese Pizza