This versatile quiche could easily pass for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The creamy and rich polenta crust is a delicious gluten free alternative to a traditional pastry crust. You can easily create your own variation of this recipe by substituting the mushrooms and spinach with your favorite seasonal vegetables or by using your preferred type of Trader Joe's sausage in place of the jalepeno sausage.
Spinach, Sausage & Mushroom Quiche with Polenta Crust Recipe
Yield: 8 slices
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 50 min
- 9 ounces Trader Joe’s Organic Polenta
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 links of Trader Joe’s Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage, cubed
- 3 cups Trader Joe's Organic Spinach
- 4 eggs + 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Oil a 9-inch springform pan or pie plate; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the polenta, cheese, and pepper. Using a spoon, spread the polenta cheese mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan.
- In a nonstick pan, sauté the onions, mushrooms, and sausage until onions are soft. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, add the sausage mixture, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture over the polenta and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until the top begins to brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 131| Total Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 129mg | Sodium: 400mg | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3 g | Protein: 12g
Serving size: 1 slice quiche